Beija-flor Events brings you another Wednesday wedding inspiration post.
After the Oscars’ ceremony, I was inspired by Holywood’s glamour of the 1940’s and 50s and decided to award the month of March with this elegant wedding theme.
Here are some tips to achieve the desired look:
- Channel this exciting era into your wedding day, by choosing a palette with emphasis on red, black and white.
- For your invitations, pick a look similar to an old movie poster.
- A red carpet at the entrance of the reception venue is a must! Surround the entrance with two oversized vases with red feathers and your guests will feel as they are entering a world of sophistication and glamour. You might want to tell the photographers to stay at the entrance and take plenty pictures of the guests as they come in!
- Use gorgeous fluffy Ostrich white feathers in tall vases for your centerpieces. You can also place an iconic picture of a movie star on each table or even name the different tables after famous actors or actresses.
- For entertainment, have your guests travel in time by having a vintage camera in a photo both and including several props from the 40s and 50s so they can take elegant pictures of themselves.
- Hire a band to play some beautiful Jazz tunes during the cocktail hour and later change it up to swing and early rock and roll to bring the guests to the dance floor!
After the austerity of the war times there was most definitely an explosion when it comes to the fashion in the late 1940s and 50s. For an elegant bridal look worthy of a red carpet try this:
- Choose a wedding gown with a slim silhouette and an open back. A champagne flute shaped dress is perfect!
- When doing your make-up, make sure you have a beautiful red lip and perfectly lined eyebrows.
- Accessorize with gorgeous pearl necklaces, an undersized and classy boa, a birdcage veil or evening gloves.
For a wedding guest, the reception is the most anticipated part of a wedding. Here are a few more suggestions on how to show your guests the most fabulous time:
- When selecting the evening menu, you may want to give special attention to the cocktail party. Cocktail parties were an American invention and, during this time period, they were most definitely in vogue. Make sure to serve traditional recipes from the era. Hand out appetizers like pig blankets, crabmeat lobster pastries, caviar or foie gras sandwiches, stuffed olives, cheese puffs, and many other delicacies.
- The drinks should include the most loved concoctions from the period like martinis or champagne cocktails.
- Incorporate the color palette when it comes to the food as well. For example, serve a signature red juicy cocktail, or red velvet cupcakes.
- For your wedding cake, have edible red roses decorating a black and white cake. I particularly love the one on the first picture of this post. It looks velvety and lustrous and so appetizing!